A collection of thoughts after day 1 of year 14:


And so begins year 14.

A collection of thoughts.

After a day like today, two things are certain:
1. My voice is sore.
2. I was called to teach.

Every year I get the back-to-school nerves, and every year by the time 7:46am hits, I feel like I’m back in the saddle again! I just start talking and I think to myself, “man! I’m good!” And also, “oh yeaaaa this feels right.”

I can’t believe we did this during a worldwide pandemic. What in the actual heck?! It seems like a bad dream, but, do not doubt it, the effects of the “covid years” are very evident in the social, academic, and mental health of our students.

I’m so lucky to be at Willowbrook. The teachers here actually LIKE to be here. They LOVE to teach. And they LIVE to make an impact on these kids. I mean, let’s be honest, it takes a special heart to WANT to teach middle school! But we do. We’re there in the trenches every day battling things like stuck lockers, losing homework, love triangles, identity crisis, fights, vaping, broken friendships, exclusion, and the fear of creasing brand-new Jordans. That place is a real as it gets, And my colleagues are the greatest to fight alongside.

It’s crazy to think that 10 year olds are walking around the hallways with 14 year olds. But they do it. And the big kids are, for the most part, not too bad to deal with. I told my littles not to worry- the big kids are too tall and not looking down at you (literally) anyway. They don’t see you, so just keep walking.

It’s been 14 years of my giving the same “do not vomit in my classroom” speech. And it’s only happened one time! And the girl said, “I made it to the trash can!” Good girl. Crossing my fingers for another vomit-free year. Knock on wood.

My first day of my first year, I remember being so thankful that I get to do this job every single day. And without any irony or exaggeration, I still feel the exact same way. Yes there are challenges. And I’m EXHAUSTED. But this is what God created me to do, and I pray every day He uses me to show His love to others.

I want to be more intentional this year about explicitly teaching how to read silently. And I want to BUILD stamina. And really work on that skill. 

And so ends my collection of thoughts after the first day of my 14th year.
These are the days of our lives.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons about life, love, and myself from my 35th year; Hello 36!

An Update in the Spring of 2023