A Peephole, a Deadbolt, a Doorknob, and a Lock with a Chain


"Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my anxious thoughts.

Point out anything in me that offends You,

and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Psalm 139:23-24

This week, I am going to meditate on this verse. I am going to read it, reread it, read it again. I am going to pray it. I am going to write about, draw it, break it apart and put it back together. And I am going to keep a record of it so that I can look back and remember how God's Truth changed my life.

Today is Day One.

November 16, 2022


"Search me, O God, and know my heart;"

I immediately get this image in my head of an apartment door. It has the peep hole, the deadbolt, the lock that slides into the other metal piece with the chain attached to it, and the doorknob As if this were the door to my heart.

And when I picture this door to my heart, I notice things.

1. It has a peep hole so that I can see out. I can see who is knocking. Who is asking to come in... or who may be attempting to barge their way through the door. It is important to note that those wishing to enter my heart cannot see IN through the peep hole, but I can see OUT clear as day.

2. It has a deadbolt. I can lock this to prevent others from coming in. And it is a strong lock. Meant to protect against potential break-ins.

3. It has a lock that slides with the chain attached to it. If I want, I can choose to leave the deadbolt unlocked and open the door the width of the chain. This way, I can talk to the one on the other side. I can check in, see what's up, observe...all the while still keeping the door mostly closed. Still keeping the inside of my heart mostly hidden.

4. It has a doorknob. The doorknob gives ME and only ME the power to open the door. I choose whether or not to wrap my hand around the cool brass and turn. The levers moving and twisting as the door creaks open allowing the visitors to enter and explore.


I see a common theme.

  • Control. I want to be able to control who and what enters my heart. I want to control what I hide from others, from myself, and from God, and I want to choose what I share.

OR 

(another way to put it, but essentially the same issue)

  • Trust. I do not trust blindly. I need to KNOW the purpose for your visit before I allow you to come inside.


So today, as I ask the Lord to "Search me, and know my heart," He is showing me that He recognizes the safety precautions set up to protect myself from any potential harm. He knows the fear and "anxious thoughts" of the unknown and uncontrollable that live within my heart. And my lack of trust in Him "offends Him." Because look at the Biblical Truths and Promises proving that God has it under control! He is a God that can be trusted. He can carry all my burden. Plus---look at my own track record. The number of times He has proven his goodness is too many to count.

So I guess that leaves me to the last line of the verses.

"...and lead me along the path of everlasting life."

I am closing the peep hole cover because I do not need to SEE in order to BELIEVE.

I am unlocking the deadbolt because I do not need to fear the things of this world.

I am breaking the lock and chain because I need to let God ALL THE WAY IN.

I am turning the knob because I do not need the control. I trust Him.


Come on in, Lord. 

Make Yourself at home. 

And remind me each day to unlock and open my Heart to You.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Update in the Spring of 2023

Lessons about life, love, and myself from my 35th year; Hello 36!

A collection of thoughts after day 1 of year 14: