10 Things I Learned at the Indoor Water Park
January 16, 2023
Grand Harbor Hotel and Waterpark in Dubuque, Iowa
10. My kids are officially old enough to “stick together” but be away from me. They can look out for each other and their cousins, choose their activities, find me again if needed, and pretty much enjoy this whole thing independently. Where did the time go???
9. I still do not like water in my face. Although in the last hour of our three days there I finally went on the tube slide (with Chuck using positive, encouraging talk on me all the way up the stairs), I still had no desire to do the water slides and have no regrets missing out on that. Nor did I stand under the giant bucket of water as it spilled.
8. My kids are mature enough to know what they like and don’t like and advocate for themselves. For example, Charley was brave enough to try both water slides (first with Pat and then alone) and decided overall, that she also does not like water in her face and eyes either. She was happy with the lazy river and the hot tub. (And her chocolate milkshake). Oliver realized that he wanted to wear his goggles. So he packed them, kept track of them, and used them when he needed- all without Pat or me getting involved.
7. Chlorine can do many things. Yes, it keeps things clean- which is great because they did have to close the lazy river for a code brown at one point. (It wasn’t us!) But chlorine also causes red eyes, dry skin, and coughing/sneezing in my whole family.
6. The swimming suit I got from Amazon (which I found on Fabulous Tara Finds on FB) is very popular. I saw NO LESS than 5 other moms wearing the same one in different colors. Amazon Swim Suit- the best
5. I think for the most part, other moms worry about their kids too. Their safety, behavior, hygiene, etc. And I’ve noticed a certain smile/nod that moms give each other while chasing their kid around as the kid yells, “no!!!!!” And screams and cries, etc. A nod of “you got this, boo.” (My kids actually behaved realllly well- knock on wood. They had moments of exhaustion or hunger, but overall-not too shabby.)
4. The towels come straight from the dryer. So once you see someone fill up the bin, go get one and cuddle in the warmth. I think that was my favorite part of the whole experience.
3. Getting out of a tube is difficult and silly-looking for every adult. Some do the flip move, some grab the railing, some fall out, some lift themselves over the side… or like me- I just try to squeeze through the hole until I remember that I’m not 120 pounds anymore. Then I wiggle off the edge with my muffin top creating waves and ripples as I land in the water. You know. The "normal" way.
2. Sleeping in a hotel room has changed as I’ve gotten older. I watched my kids and their cousins treat the hotel like an adventure all it’s own. Who gets to push the elevator buttons? Who gets to use the key card? Who can giggle the quietest? Who can make the goofiest noises right before everyone dozes off so we all wake up again? I found myself wanted to join in but also thanking God that I remembered my earplugs.
1. I can do it. My kids had never been to a water park before. Not Magic Waters or 6 Flags- nowhere because I’ve always been so anxious about it. But I did it. And they loved it! And there was definitely some anxiety of the unknown, and there was some about changing in the locker room (because ... dirty), but overall the experience was enjoyable and my kids loved it! In fact, Charley said last night, “Today was the best day of my whole life!” So reading all the tips and tricks articles on mom blogs, and interviewing my friends about what to expect helped for sure! But the best help was remember God’s promise:
Be anxious about nothing, but pray about everything with Thanksgiving and the peace that comes from God will be yours. Philippians 4:6
It can be done! And we will MOST definitely be doing it again! Now I just have to figure out how to get that “fresh out of the dryer” towel thing to work at home…

Comments
Post a Comment