Reflecting on Turning 35: Part 1
February 10, 2023
Five days until my age rounds up to 40.
Here are some reasons why I do not feel old enough to be turning 35:
- I am too short. The other day, I had to reach a stack of books from the back of the cabinet, and I couldn't reach. Instead, I asked a 13 year-old, 8th grader to reach the books for me.
- I still bite my nails. Not every day like I used to, but every once in a while, I sit down in front of the TV and bite them down to my skin. Gross.
- I am afraid of the dark. When Patrick is working late or out late at soccer, and I am home alone with the kids, I LITERALLY leave almost every light in the house on until he gets home. Because it is common knowledge that light scares away bad guys and evil clowns and dolls that come to life.
- I have never changed my own flat tire. I think I could! Like if I realllllly needed to, I think I could pull it off. But I never have. Patrick has always done it for me.
- I have never lived alone. I went from my childhood home to roommates in college to married to Pat. Sometimes I bounce between jealousy of those who live alone and admiration for them because I am not sure I could do it.
- I have a hard time ordering alcoholic drinks at bars. Just not sure what stuff is called. And although I have not been carded in quite some time, I always worry I will get in trouble trying to buy alcohol at the grocery store.
- I do not wear makeup. I never have. I will do my eye stuff for special events, but other than that, I just do not have time for it in the mornings. Plus, this past year is the FIRST time in my life that I have started regularly wearing heels and wedges.
- I read mostly young adult fiction-even for fun when it isn't related to my job. Although, in my older age, I have discovered a love for biographies.
- I do not have much of an adult "taste" for foods. I prefer french fries, mac and cheese, and cookies over lobster, caviar, or sushi.
- I have an early bedtime. Even on the weekends. Even when we have company. If you have ever been to my house late in the evening, then you have witnessed one or both of the following: Either I tell you it is late, and it is time to go OR I quietly disappear upstairs and just go to bed.
- I am not a great swimmer. I know how to "not drown." But I cannot do any official strokes or anything. Mostly just a dignified doggy paddle.
- I love to color. I color almost every single evening. It is very relaxing and good for my mind to focus on an easy task. My kids and I have coloring parties often.
- My favorite food is ice cream. I am not kidding. I could live on ice cream. Coincidently, this is also proof that I am indeed getting older because nowadays, a bowl of ice cream results in a some tummy issues and weight gain. Don't worry. I do not let that stop me!
- I cry when I get embarrassed.
- I prefer bubble baths over showers.
- I love taking naps (although the "loving it" part is probably an indication of old age).
- My comforter is a Star Wars theme with an X-Wing on it.
- I could watch The Goonies on repeat and never tire of it.
- I am terrible at spelling.
AND the number 1 reason why I do not feel old enough to be turning 35 is:
- I am incredibly blessed to have this life and to have experienced what I have in this short 35 years. It seems short-quick, like it FLEW by! S.L.O.W. D.O.W.N. life. Wasn’t it just yesterday I said “Gap” as my first word? Wasn’t it just this morning that I memorized the dance to "Bye Bye Bye"? Wasn’t it just an hour ago that I graduated college? My kids were born like 2 seconds ago! Strange how some days take forever, but overall, time speeds past.
Comments
Post a Comment