Memories of Deanna
I first met Deanna Elaine Dziedzic in August of 2006. We were suitemates in Ohio Hall at Judson College. I remember she was friendly, outgoing, had a contagious smile, and she had a loud laugh.
Throughout our four years together at Judson, we were suitemates for one and roommates for five additional semesters. There was only one semester that we didn’t live together, so instead we had Tuesday Olive Garden therapy meetings each week to keep track of each other.
It is clear that Deanna is my soul mate. She and I have a friendship that doesn’t quit, lag, deceive, mask, fake, or end. She has seen my best and my worst, and I hers. There are things she knows about me that my own husband doesn’t fully understand.
In honor of Dee Dee’s bridal shower, here is a list of memories in no particular order of preferences, importance, or chronology.- the time I walked into the apartment and she was huddled in her desk chair wearing a leopard print Snuggie. (Some things you can never unsee).
- that time freshman year I walked in on her naked. Yup. That happened.
- her amazing talent at decoding my horrible text messages. This was when we had to type one number multiple times to get a certain letter. You’d think a keyboard would make it better, but I s to lo suck.
- singing in the car. JT comes to mind. Also Wicked. And one time she told me I did a good job harmonizing. I felt so special that day.
- when I told her I had the Newsies soundtrack and she thought I said Newsboys and didn’t understand my excitement until “Open the Gates” began playing, and then it was suddenly so clear.
- one time, in 2011, my spring break destination was Deanna’s house.
- my first tattoo.
- my second and third tattoos.
- my fifth and sixth tattoos.
- sitting in a church service at her home church and watching Gator draw out our matching tats.
- Culver’s
- she bought me my first thong.
- when she would try to sneak extra weird cheese into my Kraft Shapes and then watch me shifty-eyed to see if I noticed.
- playing solitaire on our computers next to each other on the couch while IM-ing each other and watching TV. (Yes next to each other)
- wearing out the following DVDS: Mean Girls, Bring it On, Mama Mia (remember the day we pressed play and then said, “nope, we’re done.”
- she introduced me to The Office, Love Actually, and Coheed and Cambria
- chapel drama team
- when I finally caught her willingly listening to Justin Bieber!
- when she and Gator came to stay with me after Oliver was born.
- when she continued to attend Oliver’s birthday parties and even ran point in food and drinks one year!
- when she helped me with a summer garage sale!!!
- when she took Oli and me to see the Jonas Brothers!
- the day we spent at the Milwaukee Art Museum
- twilight- all things twilight.
- staring at that poster of Edward and Bella hanging on the wall in our room while falling asleep at night.
- that she always needed a fan and I hated it but I loved her so it was fine.
- when there was that earthquake, and she woke with a start with perfect clarity and informed me that no, she wasn’t shaking my bed. And no, she didn’t knock down the shampoo bottles in the shower. But yes, it is in fact an earthquake, and we are safe, and go back to sleep,
- kissing the visor when going through a yellow (which my own daughter does now)
- when she got a speeding ticket because she willingly drove MY BOYFRIEND back to Dekalb early before church. I still feel guilty about that. He wasn’t worth it. I wasn’t worth it.
- PERCY JACKSON books and movies.
- when she sang at my wedding.
- she’s a really great hugger. A realllllly great one.
- that time she surprised me and came to my birthday outing with my mom and my aunts. And then hilarity ensued- and there was throwing up, and laughing, and gagging, and having to buy new clothes, and wow! What a day.
- I don’t even know if she remembers this, but when she met at my aunt’s house for the surprise birthday outing, she pulled in the driveway, and backed out and ran over a marking stick thing like for water or gas and then it POPPED back up in the front of her car.
- penis poles in parking lots
- when she did my hair and makeup for my wedding and kept it simple because I wanted to "look like me."
- keeping the no parking sign (or was it a cone?) in her trunk so we always had a good parking spot
- Judson for sale. Call Jerry
- upper room
- small groups
- the green moldy Turkey on the counter that we left for weeks because we were “sticking it to the …” (she knows who.)
- when that same someone’s parents thought she and I were the cleaning ladies.
- picturing her laughing at me while she pictures me cracking up as I remember the cleaning lady story.
- karaoke after turning 21
- midnight movies
- That time we picked Ally up from O'Hare and had to drive in circles for like an hour and got super car sick, but then later that week, when we dropped her back off at O'Hare, we heard "My Life Would Suck Without You" and balled hysterically because the third piece of our heart had just flown away.
- We are the three best friends that anybody could have. The three best friends that anybody could have. And we'll never ever ever ever ever leave each other.
I could go on for days.
The point is my best friend is incredible. And we’ve had an incredible 17 years of friendship. And I wish her the best as she journeys into a new kind of “ship”. A husband/wife-ship. I know the two of you will build a list of memories infinitely more precious and wonderful.
I love you Dee!



Comments
Post a Comment