3 Things I Learned at Upham Woods
Upham Woods is a camp in Wisconsin Dells, WI. It is a popular field trip destination for students around the age of 10. A group of nine colleagues and I took our 75 fifth-graders to Upham Woods this week, Wednesday through Friday. I am an adult. Their teacher. The activities and challenges are designed for 10 and 11 year old STUDENTS. The field trip is supposed to engage, inspire, and excite 10 and 11 year old STUDENTS. Yet, here I am. Their TEACHER. I've turned the age of 11 more than 3 times! And as I reflect on these three days, I realize that it wasn't only the STUDENTS who made lasting memories.
So, without further ado, here are 3 Things I Learned at Upham Woods:
3. Everyone has his own agenda. On Wednesday evening, my group had a chance to go on a night hike. Now, when I read the schedule, I assumed we would be taking a short path to look at the moon or try and hear any nighttime animals, etc. I was wrong. The Night Hike was a "challenge by choice" where you walk ALONE down the path in the dark without a flashlight. Each person left one by one until they could no longer see the person in front of them. Then they would start walking along the dirt path covered in last fall's pine needles and roots protruding from underneath the earth. Eventually (about a half mile), they arrived to a clearing to find their friends awaiting. I was very surprised and happy to see that 90% of my group chose to complete the night hike alone. I was also very surprised that I did it. I am, like, seriously afraid of the dark, like for real though. No, but really. I am. Ask my mom. Ask my dad. Ask my husband. Dark. Me. Nope.
So when it was my turn, my heart was beating pretty quickly. I remember hoping that the students couldn't hear it. (For those of you that are NOT teachers, teaching is pretty much ACTING. It is putting on a show and a face for your kids every single moment of every single day. No time to be scared.) My eyes had adjusted pretty well to the dark. Plus the half moon and Venus were pretty bright and breaking through the trees. My feet navigated the "ankle breakers" pretty well; I only stumbled once. And when I reached the clearing, all my friends were waiting for me. Each one of them had their own challenges- not being able to see, thinking they heard creatures, being afraid of the dark, momentarily losing the path. But, we all came out the same way.
2. In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter? Thursday night's campfire was an incredibly inspiring moment. The staff had planned some silly skits and goofy songs to perform and engage the kids at the end of the day before bed. The firepit was filled with red and yellow flames that licked the air and brought some warmth to an otherwise chilly evening. The Wisconsin River flowed behind the treeline with newly-green pine needles and buds as evidence of spring arriving soon. Some of our students had no problem standing and dancing and singing. For example, we "peeled the banana" and "popped the corn." We went on a Sasquatch Hunt (couldn't go over it, couldn't go under it). However, others decided they were too cool to "guacamole" or "shake it all about." Our science teacher, Upham Woods Field Tripper Extraordinaire, saw this and used it as an opportunity to talk about self-image, self-respect, and reputation. He spoke about not caring what others think. About the importance of just being a kid. Another colleague spoke about missing out on fun. I spoke about how hard it is to remember to have fun when you are an adult. The sky was darkening at this point. And the fire illuminated 75 young faces as they listened in rapt attention to him, soaking in every word. And then... he said, "So I had a little chicken..." and BAM! He started up another ridiculous song with ridiculous motions about a chicken who laid a hard boil egg, and every single student, teacher, and even the Upham Staff were screaming, squawking, and shaking our rumps to lay those hard boiled eggs! Not one person cared about how silly we looked. Or how badly we sang. Or how uncool it is to squawk like a chicken. Instead, we just smiled from ear to ear and laughed and cried (okay maybe only sappy people like me shed tears). And you know what? Many of our students said The Chicken Song was their favorite part of camp. But it was more than the song. It was the lesson.
1. Do not judge a man until you have walked three moons in his moccasins. After campfire on Thursday night, the girls in my cabin showered, washed their hair, checked for ticks. You know. Normal stuff. And what started out as fixing one girl's braid quickly turned into french braiding the hair of 12 girls. PLUS girl talk. Good old fashioned girl talk. We got real. I tried to keep the theme about TRUE friendship. Many of my girls this year struggle with dramaaaaaa. And I felt it was important to share my own experiences with drama, things I have learned, things I can see as an adult that they might not be able to see yet. There were confessions, renewed friendships, moments of clarity. In fact, my favorite picture of the weekend shows the girls circled around and sharing their traveling dreams for when they are older. I know this trip was fun. I also know that the school year brought many lessons. But I hope this one- the idea of true friendships and authenticity and self-esteem and kindness - lasts. I hope this is the one that sticks with them. And also the difference between there, their, and they're. That is also important.
*Lessons/themes are from Walk Two Moons, by Sharon Creech, a novel our fifth graders finished just before leaving for Upham Woods. Many of them quoted these lessons...and trees. They also kissed trees. And yes, they have determined that all trees taste like blackberries.
**If you do not understand that...then you should read that book. It is a beautiful story!

Comments
Post a Comment